[mythtv-users] PCI-E Analog Card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 22 23:52:29 UTC 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010 04:33:09 pm Mark wrote:

> Wow, that's gonna be a busy system.  If you truly need 10 analog
> concurrent channels, go PVR-500's on a motherboard with 5 pci slots.
> I'm not sure how many concurrent streams you can get over 133 Mbits
> though.  Probably you'll be fine.

You'll want to make disk I/O doesn't become a bottleneck. Certainly don't try
to use USB-connected drives. USB may theoretically be able to handle the speed
required, but USB systems somehow never live up to their performance claims.

You'll want fast drives, and you may consider a RAID system that will increase
performance (RAID0 or a variant thereof that spreads the R/W load over several
drives).

I'd go with a server class motherboard for a system like you describe, or even
multiple systems capturing 5 channels per machine.

An older SCSI-based server might work for you, they can be had relatively
cheaply these days (at least compared to their original cost). SCSI drives are
also available cheaply, but large capacity SCSI drives are expensive. You
might look into SAS as well.

Don't try to cheap out, a system like you want will have to perform very well,
and you generally have to pay for that. Disk I/O will be more important than
CPU power, and that's usually found in server machines.