[mythtv-users] Using XMLTV and EIT [help!]

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:43:39 UTC 2010

On 01/20/2010 05:23 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Works, and is probably quite common. I have a DVB-T installation. The TV
> channel guide info comes via XMLTV (Radio Times), but there are radio
> channels not covered by XMLTV, so I switch on EIT for those.
>
> You just have to make sure that every channel that has an xmltvid
> assigned has the EIT switched off, and vice-versa.

OK, I just switched from EIT to XMLTV. Everything is setup correctly
AFAIK, the grabber, ID's, mythfilldatabase, BUT a big ugly problem surfaced.

I have a XMLTV file with all available channels - for both satellites
(Video Sources). I have to run mythfilldatabase with --file 1 tv.xml and
then --file 2 tv.xml, because it wants me to specify a *valid* Source ID
for it to work. The problem is that both mythfilldatabase runs *create*
all channels (in mythconverg.channel) that are found in the XML. I
repeat, it *creates* new "ghost" channels behind the scenes for each
channel found in the XML.

That's the big issue. Scheduler went nuts, because it sees non-existent
channels and basically everything has gone tits up. Does this happen to
anyone else? I mean how come mythfilldatabase is creating new channels,
just because they're in the XML? It should only take listings matching
*existing* channels, right? What's the point in creating new *broken*
channel definitions for the rest?

I think if I had a separate XMLTV file for specific channels on each
Source, it would work, but I seriously doubt other people do the same. I
would be a mess. I believe having one XMLTV file with all channels is
pretty standard thing. I must have a mistake somewhere, be doing
something wrong...

Any ideas? Thank you!

--
David Kubicek