[mythtv-users] Channel changing question with HD-PVR

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Thu Jan 21 06:19:28 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/20/2010 11:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 01/20/2010 11:22 PM, Fred Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> No.  Myth always resets everything as if it was starting from scratch
>> just in case something bad happened during the previous recording.
>>

> That said, the right approach if you want to only change channels if you
> need to is to have your channel change scripts take care of that.

Yep, that's what I do.  In my HDPVR's channel change script, I have:

#!/bin/bash
lc="`cat /dev/last_dtv`"
if [ "$lc" -ne "$*" ]; then
/usr/local/bin/change-channel-dtv.bin $*
echo $* >/dev/last_dtv
fi

I chose /dev as most recent distributions make /dev a tmpfs/ram file so it's
quick and doesn't slow down the channel change.  And it also makes the file
temporary.  To initialize it, I have the commands

echo 0 >/dev/last_dtv
chown mythtv.mythtv /dev/last_dtv

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to set it up at boot.  mythtv is the user on my system
that mythbackend runs under.

Alan