[mythtv-users] Comcast Analog/Digital Future (was: Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500)

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Jan 20 23:47:32 UTC 2010

On 1/20/2010 5:02 PM, Karl Newman wrote:

> I recently was forced through the Comcast digital strainer

This whole discussion has been very interesting as I've been contemplating getting another PVR-xxx or so to record additional channels on Comcast. But it sounds like with ComCast switching off the Analog, my PVR-350 might be good for Composite/S-Video input at some point in my near future.

I think the only question there is: (since I don't know) -- Do the non-tuner inputs pipe through the onboard MPEG encoder or do those video inputs become high-cpu-usage video capture devices?

Answering this would finalize my motivation to avoid (like the plague) all the suddenly available analog-only PVR cards showing up on ebay.

Thanks,

  -Ben