[mythtv-users] AVerMedia HD-PVR competitor

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 21:28:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One of the commenters on Engadget just posted this:
>>
>> "The AVerTV USB HD DVR - is an external USB self powered High
>> Definition video capture device. It’s equipped with a Component Video
>> input and HDMI output interface. It allows users to connect
>> Cable/Satellite Set-top-boxes and HD Video recorders to capture High
>> Definition video content to their PC.
>>
>> The AVerTV USB HD DVR is equipped with State-of-the-art hardware H.264
>> encoder, which will perform real-time H.264 encode functions without
>> overwhelming your systems CPU processing power. Users can program
>> scheduled recordings on their PC, to start recording HD content from
>> their Set-top-box. Besides recording functions, the USB HD DVR also
>> allows users to playback recorded content on their PC or thru HDMI
>> output to TV at 1080p resolution."
>>
>> Of course he could be wrong, and I have no idea where that came from originally.
>
> The original source of that quote is one of the two AverMedia Press
> Releases for the product.

Sorry my quote (about recording from hdmi) was from the engadget
article, and appears to be at odds with the other articles that say
the device OUTPUTS hdmi for playback.

I would be surprised at a device that could so blatantly record hdmi
(as stated by engadget) - the copyright industry would have a blue
fit. I suspect that the truth is "record from component, playback to
hdmi".