[mythtv-users] Cleaning up DVB-T recordings

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 20 16:14:36 UTC 2010

Nick Morrott wrote:
> 2010/1/19 Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>:
>> I've been looking at some of my recordings, intending to trim the garbage
>> from the ends and then possibly achive them away. Standard stuff.
>>
>> Unfortunately, because they are OTA reception, there are occasional errors
>> during transmission. On most of these they are no more than the odd blemish.
>>
>> However, I can't run these through mythtranscode because it barfs on the
>> errors. Is there anything available I can run these through that will 'clean
>> up' these files so that I can then process them? Something that will
>> discover the errors and substitute them with a suitable 'fake' block which
>> will permit me to process further? It doesn't have to look any prettier than
>> what was there before, just legal for the file format.
>>
>> I would be interested in Linux solutions only.
>

> ProjectX (written in Java) has always fixed my UK DVB-T recordings
> containing reception errors, and I've recommended it for years. I'm
> currently using the CVS version from the beginning of this year,
> available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/project-x/.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

Yeah... well, if I could find out how to use the thing, maybe I would. Firing up
the GUI gives me a screen filled with so much bling I need dark glasses...

Running it as a CLI, amongst a whole load of other verbage I get:

!> an error has occured..  (please inform the authors at 'forum.dvbtechnics.info')
No matching FileType found or file doesn't exist: '--help'

Sheesh. Even (!) mythtv does better than that.

It does, in fairness, then print some possible options (all of which have ONE
preceding hyphen not two, don't you just love standards?), but I have no idea
what most of them mean.

There's NO DOCS. I'm not running a complex app like that on my files if I don't
have a clue what it's doing (and I have very little clue what I want it to do in
the first place). I don't want it to destroy my programs in the process of
trial-and-error either.

No Docs. No help files. Nothing at SourceForge. A GUI laid out last century.
Don't you just love Open Source?

--

Mike Perkins