[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help [OT: SD tvs and scaling]

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:58:51 UTC 2010

2009/11/11 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>

> > Or - come to think of it - if you still had some scaling even when
> > using 640x480. That can happen if you scale the GUI and forget to
> > uncheck the box for scaling the video to the same as the GUI.
>
> I purposely scale the video as well. The overscan is pretty bad. It
> will cut off the logos etc that are supposed to be in the safe area. I
> looked at it both ways and I can't see a difference in terms of
> sharpness. Maybe I could with higher quality content, but I am just
> talking about TV recordings here. They aren't that sharp to start
> with.

FWIW I also use an SD CRT TV (old, but good quality Sony 29"), and I used to
have myth setup for the correct resolution (I forget exactly what I used),
but when I rebuilt it last time I never got round to changing the default
from 1024x768, and I must say I don't really notice the difference either.

It's also quite handy for the odd time I need to connect a monitor to it,
1024x768 is nicely supported.

I did used to use VDPAU too, but that nolonger works for me (I think it's
related to an xorg.conf setting TBH, newer nVidia drivers just cause a
kernel crash.), however as VDPAU didn't work too well with UK Channel 4,
which has a habit of changing the resolution of the broadcase signal (eg,
simpsons airs at 4:3, the adverts inbetween are 16:9), I'm now using opengl
and interlacing (I forget which, but possibly Bob2x) and the picture I have
now is the best it's ever been from myth for me. (even compared to VDPAU,
which whilst problamatic, was very very nice.)

This is over SVid too, geforce 7900 GTX (IIRC)

Ian