[mythtv-users] Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jan 20 01:13:57 UTC 2010

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Tue, January 19, 2010 4:41 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 05:38:19 pm David Brodbeck wrote:
>>> The "free" Pace DTAs that Comcast is sending to subscribers have only an
>>> RF output.
>> I would complain, loudly. TV sets with analog tuners will slowly disappear,
>> and requiring you to have one might not be in accordance with the FCC
>> rules. I'll look into that.
>
> The DTAs are meant for use with analog TVs that were previously getting
> cable without an STB.  The assumption is that anyone with a digital TV
> would have been paying extra for a high-def STB to begin with.  It's only
> people with analog TVs directly connected to cable that were affected by
> Comcast's analog shutdown.

And that's exactly the assumption that's incorrect. There are many of us with
high-def TVs getting their high-def content from elsewhere (like MythTV :))
who simply want access to their extended basic channels.

Up until now, I was getting my extended basic channels via ClearQAM on my HD
Homerun. Well, Comcast is in the process of encrypting all those channels.
Talk to the MythTV users in Portland OR and Seattle WA for confirmation.

So now I have to go through this frankly BS song-and-dance to get access to my
content.

David, I think Comcast will still be in compliance because they will still be
broadcasting the "must carry" (i.e. OTA) channels via ClearQAM.