[mythtv-users] Zotac ION logs

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 00:38:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have 3 of the IONITX-C (single core Atom) based frontends.  They are
>>> fanless, and I do not treat them particularly well with respect to
>>> ventilation.  I'm sure your M350 case is much better.  I've never seen
>>> any heat-related problems, but it may just be that I don't have CPU
>>> temperature logging enabled, and I also don't know how.  You might
>>> want to have a look at the GPU temperature, especially during
>>> playback, by running "nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp".  The GPU
>>> slowdown threshold is 95C.  My systems idle around 70C.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> I have 3 ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom N330 1.6GHz Dual-Core using M350 cases.
>>
>> One running with NO fan and not seeing any problems(Front end only) in
>> any logs or physically.  It is used in bedroom.
>>
>> The other two have the stock fan installed.
>>
>> I've looked for other alternative 60mm fans but none that would fit
>> with the M350 case.
>>
>> Ran the command that you posted above with no results -
>>
>> nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp
>
> you need to set the DISPLAY environment variable set to run the command, try:
>
> DISPLAY=:0 nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp
>
>  Attribute 'GPUCoreTemp' (vdpau:0.0): 74.
>    'GPUCoreTemp' is an integer attribute.
>    'GPUCoreTemp' is a read-only attribute.
>    'GPUCoreTemp' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.
>

> I quite like to ssh in and run
>
> export DISPLAY=:0
> watch nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp
>
> watch runs the command every 2 seconds, you can watch the temp climb
> when you play something.

Interesting.  It does display results when the correct DISPLAY is set.
 Was using -X for remote ssh.

I have a terrible problem with one of my TV's with over scan.  Can
this tool be used to tweak things?.  Currently using MythTV appearance
settings to attempt to handle.  Would rather handle at the xorg level
but I find modlines pfm.