[mythtv-users] MBE Horsepower...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:47:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Gavin Peters <gavin at ytz.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:32:11PM -0600, Andrew Close wrote:
>> i know the ION can be used as a good working frontend because the GPU
>> takes the brunt of the work.  but is it sufficient for a backend
>> managing the DB and system stuff as well as comm-flagging?  granted,
>> in process comm-flagging would really make the thing work, but i don't
>> need things comm-flagged in real time.
> Until recently I used an ION 330 (ASRock ION 330) as a combined FE/BE.
> Worked fine.  It was almost realtime at comflagging two sources; like
> within 10% of realtime.
> However, I recently switched to using it FE only, and set up a dual core
> AMD Phenom X2 550BE @ 3.6GHz as my backend.
> It's faster.

yea, i had an old athlon 4000 and upgraded it to a E5200 iirc, made a
big difference in a lot of areas, but just having the faster bus I
think was a huge improvement, especially since I have a 6drive raid 5
array and was recording off two cable box via firewire and three
ATSC/QAM pci cards, before I'd get a lot of hiccups even with low cpu
use, not everythings perfect and I can run 3-4 commflag sessions
simultaneously with all my three frontends never showing issues in
receiving information from the backend.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -