[mythtv-users] Acer Revo 1600 success story

Larry T larryt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 01:43:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Timbo <mythtv at koomba.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I'm having similar issues with the HD playback. I finally got my
> HDHR
> > at least playing live TV last night and I noticed it was choppy,
> presumably
> > on the 1080i channels, because some were okay. I'm nearly certain I've
> seen
> > posts say that AR1600 can easily play even 1080p content, that's why I
> got
> > it instead of building a box based on a Zotac 330 dual core board.
> Getting
> > it there has been a bit vague and varied based on some postings that I've
> > found.
> >
> > Here's something I found in a newegg comment for the AR1600 of all
> places.
> > Haven't tried it yet. Search the comments for mythTV here
> > <http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228>
> >
> > 1) You have to get a version of Myth (0.21 with fixes or the new 0.22)
> with
> > the VDPAU driver built in (PackMan repo if you use OpenSUSE 11.2) 2)
> Buried
> > in one of the sub-screens of TV playback settings, where you create the
> > vdpau playback profile, is the deinterlacer setting. You must set this to
> > Bob(2x,hw).
> > I assume mythbuntu 9.10 satisfies #1, I'll have to look for #2, if you
> beat
> > me to it let me know how it goes. What's your source for HD content?
> >

> I'm pretty sure that if you select Bob as your primary deinterlacer,
> you'll be using Bob, not one of the VDPAU deinterlacers.

I am using a Revo 1600 for about 2 weeks with HD playback. I just got a new
HDTV and switched from VGA to HDMI. I had a bit of trouble with audio not
being selected and resolutions not being exact but once I forced options it
worked. The other problem I experienced was watching an mkv movie last
night. I solved that by increasing the vdpaubuffersize in the filters
section of the VDPAU playback profile to 50. Once I did that, the movie was
smooth. I have two other systems that behave as backends so it is just
playback.

On my wishlist is to do a hibernate type setting and power on by the USB
remote. If I could set that and it was responsive and quick to the power
on/off, I would be thoroughly thrilled with it.