[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:36:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Ben <ben.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Dan <dansto.well+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/11/11 jansenj <jansenj+myth at gmail.com>:
>>> I guess I should ask, are there any unbuntu users with 0.22 that are NOT
>>> having this problem as described in the original post? Or is it just the
>>> select few on this thread?  I would assume this would be getting more
>>> attention if it were every ubuntu user.
>>
>> I've just upgraded to mythbuntu 9.10 and yes I'm seeing *much* higher
>> CPU usage with the frontend just sat there idle on the home page -
>> around 7% on my system (details below). I've got the new mythbuntu
>> theme selected, which doesn't seem to show any visible 'pulse'.
>
> As another datapoint, I just upgraded to Mythbuntu 9.10 myself and am
> experiencing the same.
>
> Roughly 14% constant CPU usage when the box is being unused

This is normal for 0.22.  It may feel unseemly and aesthetically
displeasing, but it really has no impact on playback performance or
any other performance problems or delays you might be seeing.

> - along
> with what I describe as 'general UI slowness(1)' when it is being used
> (Mythbuntu theme).  Interestingly I get lower CPU usage when playing
> back HD (using VDPAU).
>
> $ mythbackend --version
> Please include all output in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : 22594
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-22-fixes
>
> (1) This includes 0.5 - 1.0 sec response delays on UI menu selections,
> 2-3 sec fanart display, and other WAF-limiting symptoms.

I think you are running a fairly old version of 0.22-fixes.  I believe
most if not all of these delays are fixed.  (It's certainly true in
trunk.)

One WAF-limiting delay you didn't explicitly mention is described in
ticket #7836 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7836), namely a
5-second delay between selecting Watch Recordings and having the page
actually load, which may happen after the frontend hasn't made any DB
accesses within the past hour.  This was fixed in trunk but curiously
not backported to 0.22-fixes.

Jim