[mythtv-users] Power recording rule to choose between dual feeds

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Jan 18 16:19:20 UTC 2010

> Or just use 2 recording rules.  One for "at MyTeam" and one for the
> "only one feed" (as, TTBOMK, you won't ever see "at MyTeam," "at
> TheirTeam," and "one one feed" shown for the same game).

I suppose that would work, though (depending on his setup) it could
get slightly  trickier with priorities. You want to make sure that,
when given the choice, the scheduler prefers the home game. You can
give that rule a priority adjustment, but you need to make sure it's
enough to overcome any other priorities (channel, HD, etc). Also, it
will then bump it up in priority over other recordings, which is
probably what you want for a sports event anyway (no rebroadcast, and
probably not so easy to get it later from a torrent or anything), but
I thought I'd mention it just in case

> This avoids all the complexity of complex joins and will likely be
> significantly more efficient for the scheduler.

As far as scheduler efficiency I doubt it makes much difference. The
code is just handed off to mysql. The program table is indexed by
programid, so mysql will handle the join extremely efficiently. The
performance difference is negligible...and perhaps even slightly
faster to do the join than to do 2 separate queries.

But yeah, for complexity reasons I think your suggestion is probably
better. You are also less likely to run into issues with the query
down the road (ex: in the past, I've found that some outer joins
generated by mythfrontend don't get handled properly by mythweb).

--
Ron