[mythtv-users] HW CAMs, CI support, legal subscription viewing (DVB-S2)

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:02:58 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 09:39 AM, Martin Bene wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> As a matter of fact, I'd very much like to see some people who have
>> legal hardware CAM usage implemented in MythTV provide some information
>> to help people who want to use it (and whose providers allow it).
>
> I've got two myth boxes with CI/CAM/Subscription cars running:
>
> 0.21:
> * WinTV-NOVA-CI, DVB-S only (CI on daughter card)
> * Alphacrypt CAM
> * German SKY Subscription card
> * Austrian ORF channels also unlocked by SKY Card
>
> Has been up for ages and works without any problems. Has two additional TerraTec Cinergy 1200 DVB-S Cards for FTA. Used to have a 2nd NOVA-CI with CI/CAM, no problem with that setup either
>
> 0.22:
> * TT 3200, DVB-S + DVB-S2, (CI on daughter card)
> * Alphacrypt CAM
> * German SKY Subscription card
> * Austrian ORF channels also unlocked by SKY Card
>
> Have been using this since November, also works without problems. Multirec with 2 Recorders works for decoding 2 streams from the same transponder. Encrypted ORF1/2 HD, DVB-S2 also work.
>
> 0.22:
> * TT 3200, DVB-S + DVB-S2, (CI on daughter card)
> * ORF Cryptoworks CAM
> * ORF Subscriber Card
>
> This worked after using the ORF Card in a stand-alone receiver and kept working for just a few weeks in mythtv; looks like the automatic extension of subscription doesn't work correctly, need to plug the card into a standalone receiver every few weeks for ~ 30 minutes to reenable the subscription.

This is amazing news! :) So there are two new cards for which CI works
under current MythTV: TT-3200 (S2), WinTV-NOVA-CI (S)

Great info! Thank you *so* much! Thanks to other people who reported
their setups and tips. Please, keep 'em coming - as many details as
possible.

Regarding AU (updates), what do you think might be the problem? The CAM
or the card? Since the 2nd setup has the same card, I guess it must the
Cryptoworks CAM, right?

All my sub's are Cryptoworks, that's just typical. :) However, I think
it may be solved by a different CAM revision or FW update.

Hauppauge is great, I still have their dual-tuner dual-mpeg2-encoder
cards from the analog age. :) Their USB CI seems like just the thing
that could be very useful across different setups. It would offer an
important and unique feature - unlimited number of CAM's. Having one CAM
per card may not be enough for somebody, somebody could have several
subscriptions with just one card, etc. It would be amazing if we got
Linux support. Hauppauge traditionally enjoys a great deal of support
from Linux devs.

David