[mythtv-users] HW CAMs, CI support, legal subscription viewing (DVB-S2)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Jan 17 17:56:03 UTC 2010

Mark wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>

>> Talk of legal hardware CAM is fine here.  Just make sure it stays away
>> from the softcam topic or other ways of circumventing the provider's
>> access protections.
>>
>> As a matter of fact, I'd very much like to see some people who have
>> legal hardware CAM usage implemented in MythTV provide some information
>> to help people who want to use it (and whose providers allow it).
>>
>> Mike
>>
> Legal talk would be ok, but it *always* degenerates into softcam and
> other discussions surrounding
> legality, fair use, etc.  We've all seen this for years.  I was just
> trying to head it off at the pass.
> I for one would LOVE to see a cam card for my Dish recievers to legally
> recieve my paid for content,
> but I know it will *never* happen.  Perhaps he can get the information
> he needs elsewhere and update the
> wiki.  With that said....  here we go again.....

In parts of the world other than the US, cards and hardware to use them in a PC
are freely available - even if the software to access the hardware is often
spotty in linux. We don't have restrictions such as you have with CableCard
(thank goodness). This is a legitimate topic for discussion.

--

Mike Perkins