[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA/CLE266 no longer supported? [was: Openchrome XvMC at >80% CPU after upgrade]

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat Jan 16 08:02:02 UTC 2010

> At 10:19 AM 10/10/2009, Mache Creeger wrote:

>>> Fedora 11
>>> enbabled was slowmo with pauses.
>>> I am at a loss on how to proceed.
>>> this.

>>>interesting, i think this is the long standing bug i've had ever since
>>>i upgraded fedora some time ago.
>>>i've always assumed it was network related because my workaround that
>>>appears to stop the periodic freezes is to start ip traf and then let
>>>it do something like counting network traffic (interface statistics)
>>>
>>>but since i did a "yum update" yesterday everything seems to have
>>> broken.
>>>X doesn't display anything any more and i saw that it was updating the
>>>openchrome drivers.
>>>
>>>i'm considering abandoning my epia box for something else, too much
>>>odd problems over the years i've had it.
>>>not a big fan of via stuff.
>>
>>Looking back on this thread, it seems that
>>people are saying the problems may go away with
>>Fedora 12 and the 2.6.31 kernel.
>>
>>-- Mache
>
> Last October I tried and failed to get my VIA
> M10K operating as a SD Myth client under Fedora
> 11. I have since upgraded it to Fedora 12 and
> have successful got it working with XvMC fully
> functional. The key issue has been a very finicky
> xorg.conf which I have listed below.
>
> To all who tried to help me at that time, here is the answer.
>
> -- Mache
>
> # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
[snip]

I've just resurrected my Epia SP13000 with a 2.6.31 kernel and 0.22 I was
previously stuck on a 2.6.25 kernel (I think due to an AGP DMA bug) but
now it flies along :-)

The SP13000 has just enough grunt to not require XvMC but if you're using
that then the builtin mode to use is one of:
For Pal
720x576Noscale
720x576Over

For NTSC
720x480Noscale
720x480Over

Note that because these are builtins no mode line definitions are
required, just a screen section - something like this...

Section "Screen"
    Identifier      "Screen1"
    Device          "Card0"
    Monitor         "MonitorTV"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "720x576Noscale"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

I'm using the VGA output at present but I think the xorg.conf file need
not be very complex as most of the options are defaulted anyway.

$ cat /diskless/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "openchrome"