[mythtv-users] myth on separate subnet

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Thu Jan 14 23:19:44 UTC 2010

Kevin Bailey wrote:

> To second something someone else said, I just bought a
> 5 port gigabit switch from Best Buy for something like
> $40. One of the ports even auto-senses if its connected
> to another switch. I'm probably saying more than I should
> but I trust simple switches more than managed switches.

I can appreciate the sentiment.  I don't really agree though.  There's a
huge difference
in quality between a switch from best buy and a cisco, or other
enterprise equipment.
The older I get, the more I appreciate things not made in china for the
lowest possible
cost because I'm starting to realize that a lot of the stuff I want to
get done in life isn't
going to get done, and what time I have left, I don't want to spend
troubleshooting
network issues.  These are just tools to get things done, not a labor of
love.
Anyways, that's my viewpoint.