[mythtv-users] VDPAU on GT210/GT220

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 23:13:58 UTC 2010

> I'm hanging out for the ION2 it will feature a slightly cutback GT220..(a GT218)
>
> it has 40 shaders..shame about the increase in power usage over the ion1
>
> http://digitaltechzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/nvidia-ion-2-gpu-to-use-intel-pine.html

ION 2 will be much different than ION 1. Intel changed the
processor/chipset architecture such that Nvidia can't tightly
integrate the GPU with the new Pinetrail Atom processors. Plus the new
Atoms will have an Intel GPU on die already. They are making the ION 2
but it is basically a descrete GPU with its own dedicated memory, etc
on the PCI-E bus. I read that they are staying with 16 shaders also
(http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/12/31/nvidia-ion2-g218-gpu-not-chipset/)
I think the performance will be good for mythtv, but I don't think it
will come in at higher than the sub $200 price that the current ION
nettops sell at.