[mythtv-users] Old Cameras, was: "Generational" TV, was: OT: 3D TV

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 13 22:08:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, January 13, 2010 6:55 am, Brian Wood wrote:
> Ahh, but can you tell the difference between an iconoscope, an image
> orthicon,
> a vidicon, a plumbicon and a saticon? They all show different artifacts.

Nope!  I'm sure I could pick it up if I had some examples and someone to
show me the differences.

> I wish you wouldn't refer to the "tube camera era" as if it were the
> "paleolithic" or the "neolithic" era", it wasn't that long ago :-) I still
> have an RCA 2" Image Orth on my shelf (still in the original factory
> container). It originally cost more than a medium sized house.

Heehee.  I know it wasn't that long ago.  When I was doing public access
TV in the '90s we had a couple of JVC 3-tube cameras.  (Nothing that great
-- ENG stuff, really.)  I remember having to focus them on a grid pattern
and press a button to get the color registration lined up.  Actually, they
were old and cruddy enough that it was usually necessary to tap the side
of the camera a few times before they would line up properly.