[mythtv-users] Autologin lost on upgrade to ubuntu 9.10

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Tue Jan 12 20:49:12 UTC 2010

Ross Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, sdavmor
> <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:

>>> I googled it for the OP (I believe it's basically renaming the
>>> custom config file in /etc/gdm to custom.conf, and ensuring
>>> your username is in it.
>
> I believe some gnome behaviors changed between 9.04 and 9.10 that
> have more subtle impact on the autologin functionality.
>
> In 9.04, I had autologin enabled, and whenever my myth box hung,
> I'd hit ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the xserver. Autologin would
> run a timer and then automatically start mythfrontend at end of
> time if I did nothing. This was a simple "panic button" fix for
> myhtv with a high WAF.
>
> With 9.10, initial boot autologin and start of mythfrontend works
> as desired, HOWEVER... ctrl-alt-backspace is disabled by default.
> After re-enabling it, I found that gdm doesn't auto-re-login, and
> when I manually login, it doesn't auto-re-start mythfrontend.
>
> Anyone know how to change this back to the 9.04 behavior?
>
> Also, here's how to re-enable ctrl-alt-backspace -
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enabledisable-ctrlaltbackspace-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html
>  -- IMHO, this may be a useful default for mythbuntu.
>
> -Ross

I haven't tested any of what is on this page, but this link provides
info on "Frontend Auto Login". Option 3 for Karmic mentions dealing
with mythfrontend crashes.

<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Auto_Login#Note_on_Ubuntu_Karmic_.289.10.29>
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk