[mythtv-users] Audio problem with hdpvr playback after upgrading to Fedora 12

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:22:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Richard Woelk <richardwoelk at yahoo.ca>wrote:

> Shaun,
>   I notice from your log that your HDPVR is recording audio to AAC format.
> When I originally started with the HDPVR, I had to compile my own copy of
> FAAD2 or else mythfrontend would crash trying to play it. It needed a
> configure option that later I found was enabled in the livna package. When
> AC3 support was released for the HDPVR, I went back to using the atrpms
> version, just to satisfy the dependency.
>
> When recording AC3 from the optical connector, the HDPVR automatically
> records AC3. You can set AC3 In the recording profile page of mythfrontend
> settings, This setting affects the analog input as well as the SPDIF if it
> is getting PCM in.
>
> Hope it helps
>
> - Richard
>
> Hi, Richard,
I checked my recording profiles for my hdpvr, and all of them already had
the audio codec set to AC3. However, I checked the actual setting of the
audio_encoding parameter:

[root at scorpio ~]# v4l2-ctl -C audio_encoding
audio_encoding: 3

The 3 setting is for AAC, like you said was being recorded, so I'm thinking
maybe there is some sort of glitch where mythtv isn't setting the
audio_encoding parameter of the hdpvr driver properly based on the audio
codec in the recording profiles. I manually flipped the setting to 4 (AC3),
and now it seems to be working just fine, so at the very least I now have a
functional workaround.

Thanks for a nudge in the right direction!

Shawn Asmussen