[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 03:00:50 UTC 2010

> Visually, we can only identify objects in 3D when they are close to
> us. I can't remember for sure so don't quote me but I think that the
> cutoff is 20m and after that, you can not distinguish between 2d and
> 3d. Our eyes are around 5cm apart. What is the distance between the
> lenses of a 3d video camera as this could potentially expand the depth
> of field beyond what is natural to us?

James Cameron and a camera engineer named Vince Pace actually spent
several years developing a new camera specifically for 3D. They made
lots of changes that result in a much more natural 3D viewing
experience. Basically new digital sensors allowed them to completely
reconfigure the camera to more closely mimic how the human eyes work
together. This makes it much more comfortable to watch and makes the
viewing experience feel like you are watching a natural real world
scene, rather than a gimmick to make thing fly out of the screen at
you. Here is a good video showing the actual camera and some of the
changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmJ8A1Wl6U