[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 02:31:02 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:
>> "Almost every big movie is coming out in 3D now" ... LOL! just like in the
>> early 80's ... unfortunately I can still remember "JAWS 3D" too  :D
>
> Fair, but it isn't just like in the 80's. The trend or the technology.
> Have you seen a new RealD movie? It is much more natural as opposed to
> the parlor tricks they made of 3D in the past. The technology is
> easier on the eyes and looks far superior. As this thread points out
> it will be available in home as well. Also it isn't just a few movies.
> There are many movies in 3D and the pace is quickening. You may not
> care, but 3D isn't going away this time.

I totally agree...

Unfortunately, and this is just my opinion, I believe the 3d
technology is less about the movie experience and more about
protection of content.

No one is going to be able to CAM a 3D movie and produce the same
experience... Hmmm... guess it could be done though... two camcorders
mounted next to each other, each with a polarised lens so as to
individually capture left and right fields and then post processing to
get these frames back into a single 3d track....

A lot of trouble though for a low quality replica with crappy audio...

Visually, we can only identify objects in 3D when they are close to
us. I can't remember for sure so don't quote me but I think that the
cutoff is 20m and after that, you can not distinguish between 2d and
3d. Our eyes are around 5cm apart. What is the distance between the
lenses of a 3d video camera as this could potentially expand the depth
of field beyond what is natural to us?

I am off to see Avatar in 3D this Thursday, something makes me think
that I am now going to be paying more attention to the 3D than the
movie...

Cheers

Phil