[mythtv-users] Match display refresh rate to video framerate

Mark Schuren schurenmark at versanet.de
Mon Jan 11 19:59:12 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2010, 23:27 +1100 schrieb Jean-Yves Avenard:
> 2010/1/10 Mark Schuren <schurenmark at versanet.de>:
> > your patch works perfectly here. I have reverted changeset 23023 and
> > applied your patch successfully.
> >
> > With your patch, Myth does exactly what I'd expect even when I have far
> > more relaxed xorg.conf (more or less default with all modepools
> > enabled), and even in a German installation with a comma as decimal
> > point. I've thrown lots of different content at it, and did not fail a
> > single tim eto choose the correct display mode.
> >
> > Jean-Yves, can you please have a look at it (#7874)? I think this patch
> > fixes the core problem (for non-english locale), rather than the
> > workaround introduced with [23023].
>
> Why?
>
> when with 23023 it works...

For me it works only with excessive hacking of xorg.conf:
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes,
NoPredefinedModes"

> If the issue was what is described in 7874 it would never work, ever.
>
> The problem before #23023 it would only select 49.9Hz for 50Hz ; never
> 49.8 as the precision was limited to 0.1.
>
> I've increased the precision up to 1.

Yes I understand. You are probably right. However (I'm not a dev -
cannot comment on the code in depth) I definitely see it working without
hacking xorg.conf as described above. I get somehow more sane results
with the patch from #7874 (whether in addition to changeset 23023, or
without it).

The settings screen shows more and more exact frequencies when I either
set my LC_NUMERIC to "C" or use the patch from #7874.

My system has German locale. Myth settings screen offers 23.919, 49.832,
59.719, 59.798 Hz and "Any" WITHOUT the patch (although there are even
more modes available).

And WITH the patch from Rene it shows: 23.971, 23.976, 24.000, 50.000,
59.934, 59.939, 60.000 and "Any", and that's quite what I'd expect.

Same video card, same xorg.conf, same screen.

I really cannot evaluate the code, but I see the result.

> BTW, it's committed in 0.22-fixes ; no need to apply patches.
>
> > JYA said it all worked ok for  him BEFORE changeset 23023...
>
> this has nothing to do with the new changeset ; different video cards;
> different screen. so many variables.

I can confirm what Rene wrote in the ticket. To reproduce it I use the
0.22-fixes code and just toggle my locale from German to Posix, and my
settings screen shows different frequencies. Which it does not when the
patch from #7874 is applied.

This lets me think that the patch is really fixing the core problem,
which (at least in my setup) makes changeset 23023 (and more strict mode
validation settings in xorg.conf) superfluous.

Just my 2 cents,
best regards,
Mark