[mythtv-users] IR remote "extenders"

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Mon Jan 11 03:14:32 UTC 2010

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I have some AV equipment in a closet right behind the TV.  I keep
> pretty much everything in the closet that I can; the only things that
> are visible are the Wii receiver and a joystick receiver.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a "remote extender" that will receive the IR
> signals from any source and pipe them into the closet.  The distance
> literally the thickness of the wall.
>
> That would let me put stuff in there without having to get up to
> control it, and it wouldn't detract from my otherwise nearly-invisible
> AV setup.

I have all my AV equipment hidden (aside from the TV!) in two set ups
and I control them with Harmony 890s using their RF based IR repeaters.
This has been extremely reliable and eliminates interference issues that
can happen with normal IR repeaters.

Logitec has moved on to the 900 series now so you can pick up 890's on
the cheap. They are so good I picked up another over Christmas for about
$200 including everything (e.g. remote and remote IR transmitter).