[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Auto-Builds Quick Easy Question

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 00:13:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Try the FAQ at http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds
> >>
> >> My best guess is try the "I wasn't asked what mirror to use.  This
> >> isn't working!" answer.
> >>
> >> I am not running Mythbuntu 9.10 I am several releases behind so
> >> auto-builds have not worked for quite some time for me so I hope above
> >> works for you.
> >
> > Yea, the FAQ isn't helpful.  It identifies the fact that there are
> multiple
> > build types but doesn't identify how to set those types.  It did ask if I
> > wanted updates to 0.22 or 0.23 and I selected 22, but the problem is that
> > since the FAQ clearly states you cannot go back if you make the "wrong"
> > selection I'm not about to follow some "half" documentation to run
> updates.
> > I'd like some confirmation how NOT to get "trunk" installed on my system
> yet
> > allow it to update with changes and bugfixes posted to stable.
>
> I agree the documentation is poor, and a lot of it doesn't look like
> its been updated since 0.22 came out. eg the README in the deb file
> states:
>
> "This package will work on all releases of Ubuntu (jaunty, intrepid,
> etc) and will only need to be updated when a new trunk release is
> available (ie, when 0.22 gets released, this package will need to be
> updated for 0.23 trunk."
>
> However the line that concerned you contained:
>
> http://us.autobuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/trunk-0.22/ubuntu
>
> Open that in a browser and drill down to:
>

> http://us.autobuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/trunk-0.22/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mythtv/
>
> You'll see it is all actually 0.22-fixes.
>
> If you go back up the tree  to
> http://us.autobuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/ you'll see that the
> repos are:
>
> 0.23/
> fixes-0.21/
> fixes/
> ppa/
> trunk-0.22/
> ubuntu/
>
> Which is pretty confusing. However if you drill down into 0.23 you'll
> see thats the trunk builds.
>
> No, we shouldn't have to do this amount of investigation to see what
> is going to be delivered or to figure out which settings to use. Why
> they can't use the same names as upstream I am not entirely sure!

Honestly, I really don't mind the confusion at the archive level if it makes
the dev's life easier to manage so long as I don't have to guess when I
install it what I'm going to do.

If the wrong choice were "correctable" (i.e. you could simply dpkg
reconfigure, select the 0.22 branch and re-update to back out of trunk and
into fixes) then it wouldn't be so bad...but you can't...and in that case I
guess I'd have expected that FAQ to spell things out a bit clearer:

* Upon configuration you will be prompted to select a version of updates you
wish to download.  The version matching the current version of MythTV (at
the time of this writing 0.22) will install the "fixes" version while the
version matching the "next" version of MythTV (at the time of this writing
0.23) represents the option to install the "Trunk" version.

Simple, concise, and it wouldn't really need to be updated version to
version...and it would stop people from having heart attacks when they don't
see "Fixes" or "Trunk" when dpkg configures the installation.

Thanks for the information folks, I appreciate the quick answers. :)