[mythtv-users] HDMI output audio

Andy Hohenner hohenner at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 18:44:24 UTC 2010

Christian Szpilfogel wrote:
> Andy Hohenner wrote:
>> I am trying to setup a new mythtv system, based on a Asus P5Q-EM
>> motherboard and Fedora 12, using the built in HDMI port. My goal is
>> to have both video and audio flowing out the HDMI port.
>>
>> My problem is when I uninstall pulseaudio, I don't get any audio
>> output. speaker-test -c 5 -t wav generates no output and when I try
>> to launch System>Preferences>Sound I get an error that the sound
>> subsystem is not responding.
> I have it working fine with ALSA. You will need alsa >=1.0.19 (current
> is 1.0.22.1).
>
> Usually the trick with these sound devices is the .conf files. Have
> you tried suggestions from Alan's digital how-to?

Yes,

just worked my way through:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound
and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF

it looks like running
sudo yum remove pulseaudio
and
sudo yum install alsa alsa-lib alsa-tools alsa-firmware alsa-tools
alsa-utils alsamixergui python-alsa python-alsaudio wine-alsa

Is the correct combination to get audio to flow, speaker-test works and
i can get mythfrontend running, and with tweeking the conf file I get
audio out of the HDMI. :)

Probably installing some packages some that I don't need, but it works.
Once I've some time may investigate which I don't need...

I just need to track down the next set of issues (not playing nice w/ my
hdhomerun) and I'll have a functioning mythtv system :)

Thanks,

Andy