[mythtv-users] Still no luck with .21-fixes + juju firewire

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Jan 9 23:03:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:16 AM, William <william_munson at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> but I'm
>>> still having trouble getting mythtv's firewire support to work
>>> properly with the latest kernels with the new firewire stack and I
>>> don't know why.
>>
>> I also had problems with the new firewire stack and for me the solution was
>> to purchase a $5 PCI fireware card and use it.  It would seem that the new
>> stack did not like my old hardware.
>
> Hmm.  My hardware is only about a year old.  It's a Texas Instruments
> TSB43AB23 chip on the motherboard.  I would have thought this would be
> supported.

I just wanted to report that I was never able to get this working
reliably.  After upgrading to .22 I tried again and it worked a little
bit better on juju than .21 did, but there was usually extreme
corruption in the video stream, as if pieces of the mpeg stream were
being dropped (which they probably were).

Today I installed an old PCI firewire card I had lying around (VIA
Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller
(rev 46)), and it all seems to be working just fine, now.

The TI firewire controller just doesn't seem to be working well with
juju at all.

Eric