[mythtv-users] Silicondust Makes CableCard Announcement

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 8 22:32:00 UTC 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010 03:02:10 pm David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Fri, January 8, 2010 11:27 am, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I'm surprised Apple doesn't fight the "Windows only" approach to
> > CableCard, but they haven't shown much interest that I can see.
>
> I think Apple would rather own the distribution channel -- they'd much
> rather sell you video content on iTunes than provide ways to record it
> yourself.

Perhaps, and the iTunes model has certainly worked well for them, for music,
not so much for video.

I don't think we will ever see the DRM lifted from video, the way it was from
music.

Perhaps Apple learned from the music biz that DRM is not the way to go, and
they see CableCard as a DRM-ridden technology, which of course it is.

Now that they are selling DRM-free music, I wonder if we will see a Linux
version of iTunes, and maybe a 64-bit Windows version?