[mythtv-users] Remotux Released!

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:51:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Chase Douglas
> <chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you check out the bzr branch
>
> Ew. So there *is* at least on project that still uses bzr... ;)

I'm not too familiar with the history of bzr, but one of my coworkers
had the same response. I think way back there was an original bzr scm
that is very different than the bzr of today. I'm actually more
familiar with git due to my day job, but to me bzr is easier because
it is built to make more sense to the user in terms of the names of
commands and potential work flows. If you haven't used bzr in a long
time, don't be afraid to give it another look.

In fact, I just read the history of bzr on wikipedia and the current
bzr is completely different than the original bzr, which has been
deprecated and renamed baz. Baz was like GNU arch, but the current bzr
is a new scm designed and built from the ground up.

> Generally speaking, bundling a spec file with the source isn't that
> useful. The spec often needs adjustment more often than the source
> does, so the two get out of sync. In Fedora-land, we just maintain the
> specs in the Fedora package scm, paired with pristine upstream source
> tarballs. We actually *need* a separate spec file for things to work
> correctly w/the build system.

True. I keep the debian files in the scm just because I'm the
maintainer (of sorts) for the ubuntu package. Since I won't be the
maintainer for any Fedora rpm there isn't much sense in keeping it in
my repository.

>> The Ubuntu (and debian, though I haven't done testing) init script can
>> be found in the development repository in the debian directory. I
>> strip out the debian directory before creating the source tarball as
>> that's considered good practices from what I've read.
>
> While I think not including the 'debian' directory in a source tarball
> is a good thing, if the source contains an initscript, then it should
> be included in the tarball. If nothing else, under an initscripts
> directory, with the script clearly labeled as to what distribution its
> for. That's fairly common in the dozens of packages I've maintained
> over the years for Fedora.

I'll add that to my todo list. Thanks!

> I'm happy to send an initial copy of the spec file and Fedora
> initscript back your way for inclusion in your tree if you like, but
> from there on out, I'd do most of the spec maintenance in Fedora's
> package scm. Would definitely switch to a bundled initscript, once
> available though.

Please do. I'll probably just import the init script for the reasons
you mentioned above. When you talk of Fedora's package scm, are you
referring to incorporating this into the official Fedora repository
some how, or your own personal repository? Either way, if it is
available in a repo I will make a note in the installation
instructions wiki page so others can find it.

Thanks,
Chase