[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 21:13:37 UTC 2010

> There's another approach that's been bouncing around in my head, although I
> have no idea how practical it would be: Use WINE and whatever Windows
> software is required to play those files. Presumably you'd set this up as a
> player in MythVideo, and I have no idea if you'd need to use Windows software
> (presumably also under WINE) to record them or if you could use MythTV's
> scheduler for that part, with MythTV recording a show that it couldn't play
> back directly because of the DRM. My suspicion is that this would be a very
> awkward solution, but AFAIK it'd be legal, since you'd be using whatever
> licensed Windows software is required for the job, just with MythTV and Linux
> as a wrapper. Depending on the details of the hardware and official supported
> software, it might be workable. OTOH, maybe there's something basic I just
> don't understand (maybe the Windows software doesn't work under WINE or is
> too bloated for this sort of use, for instance). Still, I thought it was
> worth tossing out as a pie-in-the-sky sort of option....

It isn't just some "Windows software" that allows this to work. It is
the OS itself. People like to bash on MS but I think they just made a
clever business move. Blu-ray and Cablecard require a protected video
path at the OS level to ensure that the from the source file/disc all
the way to the display there is no way to get at an unencrypted
version of the video. That is why there is no Blu-ray or Cablecard on
OSX either. They didn't implement a protected video path that these
content providers required. Now Windows (actually Vista or newer to be
more accurate) is the only game in town for Blu-ray or Cablecard.