[mythtv-users] output audio to hdmi and spdif at the same time

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 7 20:57:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> With my own Zotac ION system, I see two entries in alsamixer, spdif
>> and spdif1. The spdif output I have enabled, sending audio over the
>> digital audio output. I *believe* spdif1 is hdmi audio. I don't have
>> hdmi in on my receiver though, so I don't use it, but I don't see why
>> simply enabling both of those in alsamixer wouldn't be the ticket...
>

> I can and have enabled them in alsamixer.  I have both hdmi and spdif
> options, and they both work individually if I enable them in mythtv setup.
> Problem is mythtv will only let me choose one or the other.  NOT both at the
> same time, which is what I am asking for.

Ah. Yeah. I get it now. Probably some asoundrc black magic that has to
be worked there then. :( (dunno if that's what the earlier alsa wiki
link was suggesting or not).

Personally, I just route everything through my amp, so I've not
encountered this problem. I've actually got the TV's built-in speakers
wired up as the front channel in my 5.1 setup.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com