[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 01:13:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/31 James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > and left Rate and Aspect alone.  I have not done any overrides for
>> specific
>> > video sizes.  However, I don't see the area where JYA says to input the
>> > location of a text file w/ refresh rates in it.  Could this be because
>> my
>> > backend is not running JYA's repo?  Thanks for the assistance!
>>
>> I don't mention it because it's not necessary anymore.
>> MythTV can decode the refresh rates offered by the nvidia card and
>> will display them as their real value.
>> You can force the refresh rate you want by selecting the one you want
>> in the list available. Or leave to Any to let mythtv select the one
>> you want.
>> To check if mythtv will get it allright, go trhough the list of rates
>> available in mythtv and see if they are all there
>>
>> BTW, a 120Hz LCD Tv isn't really 120Hz, you can't supply them a 120Hz
>> signal... Just another dumb marketing term to state that the TV is
>> doing video compensation to improve motion and smoothness...
>>

> JYA,
>
> Thanks for the update.  I have cycled through the ANY field and there are
> other rates listed, so I guess that means it's working.
>
> I read a lot of posts on LCD TVs before I bought mine.  I know they don't
> do 120Hz input (totally agree about the "Marketing Double Talk"), but I got
> this one because it can take 24Hz (or 23.971Hz) input.  I was looking for
> something that would work well with BluRay.  I'm pretty happy with the setup
> too.  PS3 BluRay looks fantastic.  Can't wait to try some other video and
> see what it looks like.  Thanks!

Before I ask my question, my setup is as follows.

MythBuntu FE 9.10 w/ JYA's repo enabled
nVidia 9500GT w/ 512MB RAM
MythTV 0.22 with VDPAU successfully enabled (Advanced 2X with 1x Fallback)
nVidia drivers 195.30

MythBuntu BE 9.10 no JYA repo
MythTV 0.22 no VDPAU

I have a video file on my box that I know is 23.976 Hz rate.  mPlayer has
confirmed this is a 1920x1080 VC-1 23.976 clip.  I played the clip using
Internal and my TV is still showing 60Hz.  I know my TV does 24Hz because
I've seen blurays on my PS3 and the TV shows 24Hz.  I've checked the VIDEO
MODES screen under APPEARANCE.  My settings for "Separate Video Modes for
GUI and TV Playback" are set like this:

GUI:  1920x1080
Video Output:  1920x1080
Rate:  Any
Aspect:  Any

All the overides for specific video sizes are 0, 0 320x200 Any Default  (I
haven't changed them from their defaults).  What am I doing wrong?  I have
nothing special setup in my xorg.conf.  It's just a plain vanilla install of
MythBuntu except for the JYA repo.

Also, when playing through INTERNAL mythtv player, I would get what looks
like bits of video that weren't decoded right.  They are small miscolored
blocks that appear and disappear.  They aren't there all the time and they
aren't there in the mplayer playback of the clip.

Thanks for the help!!