[mythtv-users] VDPAU on older pre-G98 8400 GS

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:19:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Ben Dailey <ben at inspiredtechs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
> Eric,
> I maybe very wrong here but from my reading of the following log output
> mplayer is failing on VDPAU output and falling back to ffmpeg libavcodec
> implementation for  playback and not using vdpau.
> <snip>
> Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
> e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
> VDecoder init failed :(
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> Unsupported PixelFormat -1
> Selected video codec: [ffmpeg2] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-2)
> </snip>

Ben, you are right, I completely missed that in mplayer his decoder is
not VDPAU, just the rendering is being done by VDPAU.

Eric, you might want to try mplayer with something more like:
mplayer -vo vdpau -vc
ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau, -fs <mpeg2 file>

FWIW' if VDPAU was doing the decoding in mplayer, the one line above
would instead read:
Selected video codec: [ffmpeg12vdpau] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-1/2 (VDPAU))

Looks like it wasn't an apples to apples comparison there.

Frank