[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Tue Jan 5 13:29:41 UTC 2010

From: Charles Wright <cpwright at gmail.com>
>On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Gareth Glaccum
>> 2) I am a data-stream (video), how do I get where I am going?
>> In an ideal world, multicast would be great.

>One could also just use unicast instead of multicast or unicast.  If
>you've got an HD stream, I think it should be about 7GB/hour which
>works out to ~15.5Mbps.  Multiply that by 5 front-ends (seems like
>reasonable number for most homes) and you've got 77Mbps, which is
>still far under 1Gbps and you aren't going to affect devices which
>aren't using the stream.

Yup, I agree with that in principle. What about if they only have a 100mb/s switch or hub though?

Don't get me wrong, I think unicast is the way forward at the moment.

However, I think that whatever is put in place, should be done with the idea that sometime in the future, multicast could be implemented /safely/ and an 'upgrade' to multicast should be coded in easily.