[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 5 00:26:29 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brodbeck" <gull at gull.us>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

On Mon, January 4, 2010 4:06 pm, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even with long hdmi cables or speaker wires, you are still adding
>> latency just like ethernet would have
> No.  Ethernet packets are a store-and-forward technology.  The delays
> are caused by the hardware in the switches and end points that have to
> stop, buffer, and analyze each packet, not in the propagation time on
> the wire.  With analog speaker wire there is none of that.

>This is true, although the delays are still quite short -- in a
fully-switched network that's not overloaded you're usually talking a few
milliseconds at most.  This is roughly equal to the delay you'd get by
standing one meter away from the speaker.

>This is, however, enough time for an analog signal to travel about 800
kilometers down a speaker wire. ;)

Which assists me observe what seems the main diversion here, the latency for this use is largely irrelevant.  If one person is
moving from room to room, who cares about a few milliseconds latency?   Even if it were 500 msecs out I'd not care. (Assumption -
each room has its own audio and video derived from the client PC in that room)

I feel we have established the latency concerns are real and of no significance to this mode of operation.