[mythtv-users] IP change blocks mythfrontend

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 20:51:04 UTC 2010

Ant? Santos wrote:

>I'm using Minimyth and I'm not sure if this is a problem related to
>MythTV or Minimyth. The problem is that my frontend uses DHCP to get
>network configuration and whenever the IP is renewed (being
>different than the previous), mythfrontend stops responding and
>stalls.
>
>Is this a problem with MythTV? Or should I dig deep into Minimyth
>configuration system?

It's a problem with your network configuration - specifically the
device doing DHCP. If the IP address is changing mid session then the
DHCP is broken<period> No if's but's or maybe's - broken. It
shouldn't even change across reboots.

As others have said, it's probably a good idea to give your frontends
a static assignment - either by manually configuring them, or by
applying a static assignment in the DHCP server. Most routers make
poor DHCP servers - with no persistent storage they cannot possibly
comply with the RFCs on DHCP. Since most Myth systems will have a
backend running all the time, you could consider running the ISC DHCP
server (which is compliant) on that and turning off whatever other
DHCP server is on your network.

Should you do that and have a problem, you'll find a friendly bunch
of us on the DHCP Users mailing list -

Simon Hobson