[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jan 4 20:11:17 UTC 2010

bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> FireWire  certainly could be the optimal solution for video capture but the greed obsessed partnership of the cable execs, other special interests, and our financially insatiable “statesmen” has resulted in having most of the really nice features of the cable boxes locked out.
> On my FW setup, most of the available channels are encrypted, at least at anytime that there is anything worthwhile being broadcast.

 I don't think you quite understand how firewire output is supposed to
function.  The cableco/STB doesn't outright block access to the
content.  It simply requires a '5C' handshake, and subsequent encrypted
communication, for anything listed as copyonce/copynever.  Any properly
licensed device can access and play those channels, and depending on the
flag, record them as well.  The license agreement just stipulates that
the devices must abide by those flags.  It's no different from cablecards.