[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiple rooms

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Mon Jan 4 01:58:02 UTC 2010

I've seen it asked a few times how to 'stream' content from one room to
another, and the answer is always "You can't". And rightly so I would think,
trying to synchronize two streams is usually very difficult.

But, it can't be impossible. It hit me today: Internet game servers manage
to synchronize multiple players in real-time games. The lowly Wii can have
people in different countries race Mario Kart against each other. Certainly
it can't be impossible to have two players on the same LAN stay in sync ?

Now, let me say up front I have no idea how to actually program this, and
that's my answer to "Patches accepted" right here. :-)  But, if someone who
DID know how to program it had an interest, there is probably code to be
stolen from any GPL game with Internet play.

Conceptually then: A frontend decides to play something back (Video, TV,
music playlist) and make "Syncable". The frontend would have to send it's
position updates to the backend: Maybe it's frame number, time code, that I
don't know.

Other frontends would then have the option of browsing what was currently
being watched elsewhere, and joining them. That frontend would read the
media however it normally does (NFS, SMB, etc), but also receive the
position updates from the backend, so it can stay in sync. If the 'master'
frontend for that content pauses, so does every other frontend.

So what can you do with this ?  How about a co-ordinated whole-house
jukebox  system. Everyone wants to listen to the same think and have the
same music playing as you walk from room to room, and also be able to add
songs to the playlist from any room.

Or in my case, have a movie playing in both the living room and the
basement gameroom.