[mythtv-users] ZOTAC IONITX-B-E installation/configuration...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 21:18:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> minor breakthrough.  i figured out how to boot without the splash
>> screen and can now see the error messages.  unfortunately i don't know
>> how to stop/pause the msg's scrolling by so i can only see the final
>> screen as things stop.
>> so here's what i see:

>> Attempting to create root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6be47...'
>> ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6be...'
>> ERROR: root fs cannot be detected. Try using the rootfstype= kernel parameter.
>> Waiting for devices to settle...done.
>>
>> Root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6be...' doesn't exist, attempting to create it
>> ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6be...'
>> ERROR: Unable to create/detect root device ...
>> Dropping to a recovery shell... type 'exit' to reboot
>> NOTE: klibc contains to 'ls' binary, use 'echo *' instead
>>
>> If the device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6be...' gets created while you are
>> here, try adding 'rootdelay=8' or higher to the kernel command-line
>> ramfs
>> $
>>
>> on the other machine that i had mounted the USB key i confirmed that
>> the UUID listed above (not typed out cause i'm lazy) is the same as
>> the UUID assigned to the USB key.  so at least the UUID appears to be
>> correct, but for some reason it can't be started/found upon boot, even
>> though the Linux kernel loaded on it 'is' booting.  :)
>> i can't do anything in the shell i'm dropping into (as mentioned
>> above) because all USB devices are disabled at this point.
>>
>> so does anyone know how to go about getting the USB key block device
>> recognized/parsable as it is booting?  or have a clue as to what else
>> i can try?
>>
>> thanks again
>
> Like it says: try adding 'rootdelay=8' or higher to the kernel command-line
>
> To do this on a one off go into the grub command line and add the
> magic words to the kernel line, on a more permanent basis edit
> /boot/grub/menu.lst

i've added 'rootdelay=60 rootfstype=ext3' to the kernel config line.
neither addition seems to do any good.
mount is available as a command when i get to the 'recovery shell',
but just executing mount doesn't give me a list of mounted devices.
and looking in /dev all i see are ttyX devices, mouse0, console, mem,
...  nothing that looks like a drive of any kind.
i can run 'dmesg' but don't have less or more available to stop the
scroll.  is there possibly another cmd i can use in their place?

--
Andrew Close