[mythtv-users] ZOTAC IONITX-B-E installation/configuration...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 3 04:31:01 UTC 2010

On 01/01/2010 01:36 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Andrew Close<aclose at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Jim Stichnoth<stichnot at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> It's possible that your initrd image was created without support for
>>> USB storage.  When I was doing something like this, I had to add
>>> "--with=usb_storage" to the mkinitrd command.
>>>
>>> I don't know about LinHES, but with MythDora, just having a USB stick
>>> in the system (regardless of whether I was installing onto it) was
>>> enough to get usb_storage in the initrd image.
>>
>> so this may have more to do with how the install image was created in
>> the ISO i'm using?
>> i'm installing off a CD which is attached via USB and am installing to
>> a USB key,  so i do have a USB stick in the system. :)  maybe during
>> install i can try to pass the --with=usb_storage arg in...
>
> This was just a possibility.  You would get more information if you
> can boot without the "quiet" option so you can see the messages when
> it fails.

I ran into a funny problem on an Asus board with an AMI BIOS. It would
not save the setting to boot from USB first (as HDD) unless there was a
USB key mounted. It is possible that it is not saving that setting...

However it sounds more like the install *to* the usb stick. I presume
you used unetbootin (sp?) or live-cd-tools on another box, to install
from the CD, to the USB stick. Which raises three possibilities: the MBR
was not properly initialized (doesn't sound like that however) OR the
grub.conf is pointing to the wrong place (sounds kinda like that, but
?no error message???) or possibly, somehow the OS partitions were not
properly formatted...still vfat?? or is /boot on ext4, which some setups
choke on?

Geoff