[mythtv-users] Need advice on FC12 HD partitioning

steve networks1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 1 17:50:37 UTC 2010

I am setting up a new MythTV system to replace my old one (intended for HD).
The OS is Fedora Core 12.

I'm using the wiki how to,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora  but it gives advice
on partitioning that no longer seems valid for FC12.  For example it says I
should use ext3 for the format of /boot and /  but jfs for /video.  However,
the format options given by the installer are

physical volume (LVM)

software RAID

So should I use ext4 for /boot & / and xfs for /video?  The howto says XFS
is better "at least, when it's stable." which is kind of scary.

Also I was advised to put /video on a separate drive, so I have a 160 gb
drive and a 1 tb drive.  Does this affect the recommended sizes in the
howto?  Also the default partition combined both drives into one logical
volume, which I don't think I want if the point is to keep the video on a
separate drive.

If someone could help me out with a recommended partitioning scheme I'd
appreciate it because I know it's important for good MythTV performance.

Thanks and Happy New Year.