[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 00:33:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Bob Cunningham <FlyMyPG at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/31/2009 11:51 AM, Charles Wright wrote:

>>> So am I!  To be completely transparent, it *is* on it's third (maybe
>>> even fourth) add-on drive.
>>>

>> My Tivo just died after 8 years of service this week.  I'm glad that I
>> got Mythtv running with a tuner just about 1 month ago (I've been
>> using Mythvideo for a year now, but did not have a tuner).
>>

> Bah!  I'm still running an original ReplayTV (model RTV-2020, pre-Tivo),
> still with the original drive.  I bought it 10 years ago, back when both it
> and Amazon were still new (
> http://www.amazon.com/RTV2020-ReplayTV-Recorder-Lifetime-Subscription/dp/B00002ST80
> ).
>
> I've been hacking at MythTV for over a year (to replace the ReplayTV and to
> get HD), and I have yet to see MythTV perform as simply and as reliably as
> my ancient ReplayTV.  MythTV has, for me, been a time sink with little
> reward, so much so that I'm seriously considering going with Windows MCE
> (the horror).  While MythTV has no single big thing wrong with it, it does
> have a vast number of annoyances, and the work it takes to address each of
> them is making MythTV close to an Epic Fail for me.
>
> Then again, perhaps I'm spoiled rotten by having a DVR that "Just Works".
>  Are my standards too high?
>
> I haven't quite given up yet: I'm still reading this list!  And mythbackend
> is still running on my F12 workstation, though I have to access it through
> MythWeb (streaming!) because of unresolved mythfrontend issues.  But now
> mythbackend doesn't record SD sound (probably a PulseAudio thing).  Sigh.
>
> My 10 year old ReplayTV box just sits there, faithfully recording and
> playing SD without any problem, silently laughing at me

Sometimes older is better in many ways.  My CentOS 5 systems never have
these kind of issues because the codebase doesn't change monthly like the
Fedora systems.  It can be a little more challenging using the latest
versions of some things like QT 4.5, but it hasn't been hard tracking down
repositories or people that have done the work to make RPMs for them.  Up
until very recently, my two systems were running an MX440 and FX5200
graphics card using XvMC and running HD just fine...

Kevin