[mythtv-users] Rebuild system, keep recordings info

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 21:44:50 UTC 2010

I need to rebuild my system because a) I want to go back to Fedora
from Centos and b) there's something weird going on with my recordings
which is resulting in at least 50% of recordings showing "Recording
unavailable" when I try to watch them. I think the channel scan data
has got messed up, which means I can't restore the database as that
will just bring over the old messed up channel data into the nice
pristine new system. I'm wondering what's the best way to recreate the
recordings so they can be watched through Watch Recordings. I know
that some people recommend just putting them in Watch Videos, but I
don't want to do this.

I've seen some people talk about restoring the record and recorded
tables (see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/342014#342014)
but I'm not sure how well this works or if there are other tables that
need to be restored as well on 0.22. If this does work on 0.22 it
would seem like an easy option. Does this also restore seek data? Is
this the more complete list:
 record  recorded  recordedcredits  recordedfile  recordedmarkup
recordedprogram  recordedrating  recordedseek  recordmatch  oldprogram
 oldrecorded

I've also seen people mention Myth.rebuilddatabase.pl
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth.rebuilddatabase.pl) but this is
deprecated and seems to have a flaw where recording file size has to
be added later via an additional bit of scripting.

There's some instructions for this at
http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html which
restore these tables, but I'm not sure if this is still valid for
0.22: record recorded oldrecorded recordedprogram recordedrating
recordedmarkup recordedseek.

Or should I just do it this way -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup

Can someone please advise the best way? I don't want to get it wrong
and stuff up a brand new build!