[mythtv-users] I need to reinstall my backend

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 21:58:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 04:23 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Best bet is to put them in MythVideo.
>>>
>>> You can, if you like, use the old, legacy, unmaintained,
>>> use-at-your-own-risk scripts myth_find_orphans.pl and
>>> myth.rebuilddatabase.pl to put the data into the database (but note that
>>> they will not insert some required information and will put some bad
>>> information in the database--thus my recommendation that you just stick
>>> the
>>> shows in MythVideo).
>>>

>> If those scripts are so bad, why are they still distributed with
>> mythtv and why is there no warning in the wiki? I could put something
>> in the wiki but I don't know enough about why they are bad to say
>> anything too intelligent (other than to point to this thread).
>>
>> More importantly does anyone know what to do to fix them? They seem to
>> be useful :)
>>

> To fix them we need to put the functionality where it belongs--in
> mythbackend and mythfrontend, not in a hacked-together script that's not
> updated when code in MythTV changes (or new features like Storage Groups are
> added or ...).  This is on my TODO--mythbackend will automatically find
> stuff in your recordings directories and add it, and you'll be able to
> request a list of all the data in the database for which files are missing
> using mythfrontend or MythWeb.
>
> Until then, "Best bet is to put them in MythVideo."  (Meaning I don't plan
> to waste time on those scripts that I could instead spend on doing things
> right with a more useful interface and a more-robust solution.)
>
> Mike

OK well I don't have the skills to fix the scripts or the
backend/frontend but I can update a wiki.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth.find_orphans.pl

If you think I got it wrong or should add anything, let me know.