[mythtv-users] SOLVED Boot Sound Volume Set to Zero, Realtek ALC888, GA-EP31-DS3L

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 27 19:08:58 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:00 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SOLVED Boot Sound Volume Set to Zero, Realtek ALC888, GA-EP31-DS3L

Tortise wrote:
[...]
> 1. Open Terminal from "Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
> 2. copy-paste the following command into the Terminal:
> gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
> 3. Replace the following line (which is line 372 in the /etc/init.d/alsa-utils file):
> mute_and_zero_levels "$TARGET_CARD" || EXITSTATUS=1
> with the following line:
> # mute_and_zero_levels "$TARGET_CARD" || EXITSTATUS=1
> So you need to comment out that line to prevent the script from muting your soundcard during boot.
> 4. Reboot and recheck mixer settings

Mike:
> Unbelievable. Who on earth thought that resetting sound levels to zero on shut
down *and muting them* was a good idea in the first place?

Well yes indeed!

Perhaps it was intended to eliminate thumps and clicks from power off and power ons?  Sort of like a dethump relay effect?

One reason it might be failing to restore could be that these frontends are fast PC's running flash media (SSD and CF), timings that
happened sequentially in the past were presumably not tested at these speeds.  I have an intermittent boot bug using a SSD which
might also be explained by this, as suggested
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/linux-general-setup-support-discussion/41708-mythbuntu-9-10-fails-boot.html#post287476
Another identical box, just with slower CF does not do this.

I've also noted that when one puts a frontend into suspend the volume is also muted (Top right slider gets the little red cross for
mute automatically)

Using suspend avoids the boot bug and is quicker.  Nice!