[mythtv-users] "small" mATX case that can still hold a full PCIcard?

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 18:28:55 UTC 2010

On 02/27/2010 05:55 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:

>> I still have to sort out the cooling and more importantly remote reboots.
>> Linux can reboot automatically in case of panic, but many freezes aren't
>> caused by a "clean" panic.
>>

> Network controlled powerstrip - something like this:
>
> http://www.ambery.com/reposw.html
>
> You could even use that to turn a big fan on and off, which would draw
> in outside air, and feed it into the case - controlling the power
> state of the fan via the motherboard temp :)
>
> FYI - I've run a (now rather old) computer 24x7 in my garage as a
> webserver for years, with no issues.  Winter temps - ~40F.  Summer
> temps, up toward 100F.  Humidity - often 100% in the winter.

Yeah, I've also seen regular PC's withstand enormous env. abuse. I
wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Ethernet power socket with the obligatory permanent-on ATX PSU (grounded
pin 14) is the straightforward solution, but I was thinking of something
more sophisticated.

IP relay can be used in place of case power switch instead of grounding
PS-ON cable, but each option has its pros and cons.

--
David Kubicek