[mythtv-users] "small" mATX case that can still hold a full PCIcard?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Feb 27 14:19:16 UTC 2010

David Kubicek wrote:

> Next time (soon), I'm going for a split FE/BE config. No doubt about it.
> BE is going to be in the attic - nice and close to the sat multiswitch
> (no limitation on number of cards, no new cables in wall required), the
> only thing I need to drag up there is an Ethernet cable, which I have to
> anyway (for WIFI, the ADSL backup). I'll probably hide smartcard readers
> with the BE too. I haven't needed to touch them since installation.

If you're really planning to put your BE in the attic, consider carefully the
temperature range you may be subjecting the components to. If you're referring
to an attic *room* you may be okay, although from past experience even an attic
room can have temperature extremes much greater than that in the rest of your house.

If you're talking about the attic itself, temperatures can become very extreme
in summer and winter. So much so that I am limited in the kinds of things I can
store in mine - no plastics, for example. There's also wildlife to consider -
spiders love the insides of electrical gear :)

It's still doable, of course, but you're probably not going to be able to run
standard consumer gear unless you build it into a proper enclosure.

--

Mike Perkins