[mythtv-users] Boot Sound Volume Set to Zero, Realtek ALC888, GA-EP31-DS3L

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 26 23:23:53 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Ross" <kevin at familyross.net>
To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Boot Sound Volume Set to Zero, Realtek ALC888,GA-EP31-DS3L

restore".  Can you run those manually (as root), and does it produce the
expected results?

What I have tried is:

moby at mythtv7:~$ sudo -u root -i
root at mythtv7:~# alsactl store
root at mythtv7:~# alsactl restore

/var/lib/alsa/asound.state exists with owner root and rw-r--r-- and its date time suggests it is being updated.

As its 17K I put the file up at http://pastebin.ca/1812511

Its contents are unchanged (using Winmerge) from before and after running those alsactl commands.  Also seems there is a duplicate
set of data in that one.

Checking the 2nd box with the same issue /var/lib/alsa/asound.state seems to be updated when the system shuts down.

http://pastebin.ca/1812557 has 3 successive versions of the file contents with comments.

I'm not sure if the method of shutting down is relevant?  Is using the Log Off menu the same as shutting down via the mythtv
shutdown command?  Doesn't seem to be.

Back to first machine.  Set Sound max.  Shutdown.  Restart.  Contents of /var/lib/alsa/asound.state is unchanged and sound is again
muted.  Hmmm