[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD w/subtitles, Can I toggle them with the Internal Player?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 25 22:45:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> The problem is that I'm ripping the videos, transcoding them down and the
>>> subtitles are "on" the video.  Like they're not separated so that there's no
>>> way to toggle them.  I checked in mplayer and even it couldn't toggle the
>>> subtitles.
>>>
>>> So the question becomes, how es one rip videos and subtitles so that you
>>> can turn them on/off at will?
>>

>> I use MakeMKV the most lately for ripping DVDs. However, it doesn't do
>> transcoding. I don't bother with that as I have plenty of disk space and
>> with a large screen TV, any quality loss from DVD is noticeable.
>>
>> What format are you transcoding to? Container type? Perhaps your chosen
>> container doesn't do separate subtitle streams, so the encoder adds the subs
>> to the picture.
>>

> Umm..   I don't have access to the files right now but I'm just ripping the
> dvd's with mythvideo's "import dvd" feature and on the quality setting I
> select, "Good".
>
> In my googling I found that MKV's are a great container that supports
> subtitles, chapters and all that jazz.  Unfortunately, ripping a dvd with
> subtitles in a compressed format is not as easy as "insert disc -> rip":

> And I need to compress the video as I don't want to spend several gigs of
> space on a dvd library.  Is there an easy way to rip dvd's to mkv's with
> subtitles?  (easier then the link above?)

You could try MakeMKV then using Handbrake on the resulting file to shrink
it. I have no idea how well that might or might not work. But I can see the
subtitle tracks in my MakeMKV files way. I don't remember if I've tried to
display them in Myth or not. I'll try to test that.

The short answer is probably no, there is no simple method to rip, compress,
and merge the subtitles in. Most of the MKV files I get with this method end
up in the 5G range. Is that really too big? 1TB drives are cheap these days,
just add RAID. :)